Emma Squared Designs

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Childhood Revisited

When I was growing up the writing instrument in our classrooms was a chalkboard. Those don't exist much in classrooms anymore because teachers have become allergic to chalk dust. That is very sad to me because as much as I enjoy a whiteboard, chalkboards are the BOMB DIGITY!
Another reason I love chalkboards is that when I was a kid, I dreamed of being a teacher who could use a chalkboard. I never did become a teacher but now I have my chalk board!
So to reconnect with my childhood, I made myself a chalkboard. I found some awesome paint by FolkArt that is "Chalkboard Paint" and I LOVE IT!!! (I try not to love inanimate objects but I have to love it...I just do!)
I had this paint for months without using it because I just couldn't find the right project to make. Then I pushed myself to focus on making something. I took a trip to Hobby Lobby and found exactly what I wanted and it turned out PERFECT!!!
The chalkboard size is 11x14 and it is actually an Ampersand Gessoed Masonite Board! It is a type of canvas, great for painting...No, really! CANVAS! It is amazing stuff and perfect for this project.
The frame is just your basic wood frame for an 11x14 canvas. I used paper napkins and Mod Podge to decorate the frame. I didn't paint all those polka-dots...I am not that talented. The napkins worked out great! It gave lots texture and added that flair that I like.
See the flowers? I finally figured out how to make the paper rolled flowers. And I really enjoyed making them. The papers are from lots of paper packs, sorry for not having the exact names.
Here are some close ups:
 So there you have it...my childhood revisited. I have it hanging on my living room wall right now using it as a countdown calendar for my big test coming up at work. I so enjoy writing on a chalkboard and think it will be a well used addition to my house. One point of future addition: I will be making some sort of chalk holder and I have a terrific idea in mind. I just need to put it off until after the big test is done on July 12th.
Thanks for stopping by, hope you enjoyed my walk-down-memory-lane, and leave a comment so I know you came by!

Emma1

P.S. In case you are wondering what the orange and purple thing is above the chalkboard, look below:
These are picture boards that I made are made out of back-stapled canvases from Michael's, orange polka-dot napkins, Mod Podge, purple ribbon, and buttons. I did poke holes through the canvas to attach some buttons with waxed-linen thread and Aleena's Clear Gel Tacky Glue for the other buttons. I haven't added any pictures to the boards yet but this is just day one of their existence. I will probably take those boards to work and put them on my desk to enjoy them there. We'll see how that works.



2 comments: